Yesterday I spent 12 hours traveling in a plane and car. Needless to say, my body was not happy with me.
Since next week is the busiest travel time of the year, I created a quick and easy yoga practice you can take with you.
The best part about this yoga practice is that it can be done in preparation for travel, while you’re sitting in the airport, on the airplane, in the car, anywhere! It feels great en route or when you’re finally home and have reached your destination. It’s flexible 😉
Here’s your Travel Yoga practice in less than 10 minutes! (Please don’t be scared by the absolutely horrible thumbnail the video embed feature chose.)
In case you want to write out the sequence or print this page to take with you on the go, here are the pose names (some of them I made up) and some cues to help jog your memory when you don’t have internet access and can’t watch the video.
Practice Prep: Find a comfortable seated position so that your spine is straight, you are grounding down through both sit bones and the soles of your feet are flat on the floor.
1. Neck Stretch
- Bring your right ear to your right shoulder and take five inhales and exhales.
- Bow your head down gazing at your legs and pause here for three breaths.
- Switch sides, bringing your left ear to your left shoulder for five breaths.
- Tilt your head back and draw a circle with your forehead once in each direction.
- End with your head in a neutral position.
2. Chest Opener
- Interlace your fingers behind your back.
- Pull your fist down and back as you arch your back slightly.
- You’ll feel a stretch across your chest and shoulders.
- Stay here for five breaths.
3. Back Press
- Interlace your fingers in front of you and turn your palms away from you.
- Round your back and gaze down as you pull your shoulders into your sockets and press you’re palms away from you.
- Stay here for five breaths.
- Place your hands on your thighs and repeat the previous two poses in a continuous flow.
- On your inhale, arch your back and press your chest out and up.
- On your exhale, round your back and pull your belly button into the back of your spine.
- Repeat this motion for 10 breaths.
5. Gentle Twist
- Place your right hand behind you as close to your body as you can comfortably get it.
- Place your left hand on the outside of your right knee and twist to your right, gazing over your right shoulder.
- Stay here for five breaths and then come back to a neutral position.
- Switch sides, twisting toward the left.
6. Three Breath Meditation
- End by closing your eyes and taking three deep breaths.
Do you have a favorite yoga pose for when you’re traveling? Please share in the comments below!
Start living life inspired today!
Have you mastered the 7 elements to inspired living?
Do you have a plan in place to integrate them into your life?
The Inspired Life Checklist draws from core concepts in the Yoga Sutras and helps you identify where to focus your energy so that you can start living your most inspired life right now!